Friday, August 20, 2010

Homemade Laundry Detergent

These days it does not hurt to save money.  My mom was telling me about how some ladies at her church make their own laundry detergent.  She said she was gonna give it a try herself.  The liguid recipe makes about 3 1/2 gallons.  She makes in a 5 gallon bucket that has a lid.  The cost is about 7 cents a load!!!!  That't right, I said 7 cents!!!!  It sounded great, but I didn't want to deal with keeping my wild 2 year old daughter out of it.  I did a little looking around and found a recipe for powdered detergent.  I liked this idea.  I am making a batch and see how well it does and how long it last.  Here is the recipe and I will updated after I have used it awhile and let you know what I think.  I would love to hear from any of you that may already use this or something close to it.



2 cups Fels Naptha Soap (finely grated)

1 cup Washing Soda

1 cup Borax



■Mix well and store in an airtight plastic container.
■Use 2 tablespoons per full load.
 
It's easier if you use a food processor.  Make sure you cover the top with a damp towel so the you don't breathe the powdered dust it makes.  You can also substitute your favorite soap for the Fels Naptha Soap.  I read also that it is good for sensitive skin.  Make sure you get Washing Soda and Not Baking Soda.  They are different.  These items can't all be found at Walmart.  I found them at Kroger, Sunflower, and Rameys.
 
Thanks and Enjoy,
Dana

1 comment:

  1. I love this! It works very well. White football pants even come clean without using any spray and wash!!!!

    ReplyDelete