Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Salsa

Wow!  It's been awhile.  The holidays can be all consuming.  I've also been working on my family cookbook as birthday presents for my mom and sis.  They are complete!  That was a job.  Here is my favorite homemade salsa recipe.  It's one of my sister's.  ENJOY

2 cans whole tomatoes
1 can petite diced tomatoes
2 green bell peppers
1 red bell pepper
1 1/2 white onions (you can use 1/2 red onion to change the flavor a bit)
2 tbsp minced garlic (to taste)
1/2 jar jalapenos
Salt (be careful, adding Tony's as well)
Pepper
Tony's seasoning (usually just coat the top)
Extra virgin olive oil (probably about 1 tbsp)
Red wine vinegar (probably about 1 tbsp)


Chop whole tomatoes fairly well to make the base. Add the diced tomatoes for texture. Chop and add bell peppers and onions (depends on what texture you want). I always chop jalapenos and garlic together just to blend well. Add remaining ingredients. It is always better after it has sit for a few hours.
When you are done mixing everything, if it tastes too acidic or bland, add a little salt. That tends to bring out more of the flavors.

No comments:

Post a Comment